April 10, 2012

Time to Educate the Legal System

I've been called to jury duty next week...I know it sounds unpatriotic but I hope like hell that my number doesn't come up and I don't have to go in.  There are several reasons for this:

  1. I had a horrific jury duty experience in NYC when I was in my 20's. 
  2. I have a sub job that day and I need the sub pay more than I need the jury duty pay
  3. MOST IMPORTANTLY...THEY DO NOT ALLOW KNITTING NEEDLES!!!
And I quote:

Are there any items I should not bring to court?
Jurors may not bring disruptive or potentially dangerous items into the courthouse.
A disruptive item includes, among other things, electronic items such as a portable radio, television, CD, MP3, tape player or camera not attached to a cell phone or computer.
Potentially dangerous items include, among other things, weapons of any kind, pocket knives and sharp objects such as tools or knitting needles.
If you have any questions about what to bring, contact Jury Administration at 1-800-842-8175.




Is it me or is it time for us to educate the legal system about knitting needles.  They're allowed on airplanes why can't they be allowed in the jury duty room.  What am I going to do without my knitting in a waiting room environment?  I know...you say "read a book"...tried that last time and it is just too noisy.  I am going to pump up my iPod with knitting podcasts.  I have some antique needlepoint I could bring in...so bulky though.  Oh, how about I get out a learn to crochet book and bring that with me.

This could be valuable knitting time WASTED by a bunch of bureaucrats who have no idea that knitting is HUGE and we NEED it in times like this.

Okay, end of rant...would love it if you all kept your fingers crossed that I don't have to report for jury duty otherwise I might try to educate them on the need for knitting...

2 comments:

Millie said...

Want to try to get a circular knitting needle project past them?
They probably would not recognize that as "knitting needles"?

I have so far not flown with knitting needles but am going to plan on a circular needle project and counted cross stitch project(s)
on a flight and cruise in Alaska shortly.

Good luck; hope you get to sub that day rather than have jury duty.

Millie

Beth said...

How did it turn out? Did you get chosen and are you now a crocheter? I addressed and wrote my Christmas cards the last time I had jury duty.