July 13, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

As you know I don't regularly do a 10 on Tuesday but this week Carole had me challenge myself. The theme is 10 Things You like About Where you Live.

You ask yourself "why is this a challenge?" - thing is I don't really like where we live. We are there until the kids get through high school then I think a serious conversation about where we should live is going to happen as I'm not very happy in our town.

So, what do I love????

1. Our Library - you know this as I write about it often. It is downright wonderful and has been a big part of our lives.
2. Our school system - it's great and frankly that's why we live in this town.
3. Our parks - we have wonderful parks which have fields, pool, trails, etc. We use them a lot.
4. The small town feel of the downtown part of our town. However, this is changing as greedy landlords push out the mom and pop business and we get more big chain stores. It's quite frustrating.
5. The Nature Center - this is where I take the dog on very cold or rainy days. I love seeing the change of season and in the winter the animal tracks are so fun to follow.
6. The countryside around us - it is lovely with hills, old stone walls and of course lovely homes.
7. Our church - I've been through rough patches with our church in the past with some clergy changes but now it is back on track and very much a big part of our lives.
8. Our home - we renovated our home about 10 years ago and it is a lovely haven. We just put a deck on and that is my new favorite place to be.
9. Our proximity to NYC - I love to go into the city with the kids on a long weekend. I majored in art history and a trip to the Metropolitan Museum is one of my favorite outings.
10. I don't have family here...why would that be a good thing? Because I'm not emotionally tied to this town and when we do move I think I'll be just fine with it.

Phew - the last one was a stretch but it made me think about our town and find what I DO like about it not what I don't like about it. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That's a nice list. But you have me curious about what you don't like about your town. :)

We're hoping to get to NYC this fall. Do you think it's better to stay in the city or in NJ? The Met is on my list of places I want to go!

ML said...

What deck? Where? Please post photos.

Another nice thing about your location is how many nice day trips or short vacations are available from there.