October 16, 2010

When in doubt...

Make mini-sweater ornaments out of leftover yarn! These are fun to do and knit up quickly. I was inspired by the Berrocco Minutia '08 and have started making my own designs ever since. I've given them as gifts and I've used them to decorate our Christmas tree and wreath. I put them up on a group in Ravelry and wondered where I could find mini-hangers. Low and behold someone posted where to find them so I've ordered 3 dozen!

P.S.
Someone asked if I used a pattern for these - no I don't. I basically knit the body in one piece and bind of 5-6 stitches at the neck and then cast on the same number and go down the back. I cast on an appropriate number of stitches based on the yarn weight (I compared this years batch to previous years and they getting bigger I've noticed...hmmm). I originally used the Berroco Minutia patterns to start and then just invented my own after that.








5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah! I love the mini-sweaters. They're so adorable. I bet you look at the leftover yarn and remember the original sweater/project - so that's an added bonus. Can't wait to see this year's Christmas wreath.

a friend to knit with said...

i am always thinking about these! and how you have made so many! maybe this winter i will get motivated to make a few... they are darling!

judi said...

I love your mini-sweaters. I saw some at Rhinebeck that were hanging on a string (like on a clothesline) and it would make a great garland for a christmas tree.

Robin said...

Too cute!

NinA said...

Love these. Are you using a pattern?