May 6, 2011

UNCLE!

Yesterday I pulled out the sewing machine, scissors, needles, zipper foot...etc. I sewed the zipper to the ribbon as the pattern suggested. I hand basted the zipper in after pinning it very carefully. I sewed it on the machine. I zipped it up and then let the four letter words fly...the left side was higher than the right side because one has a firm seed stitch edge and the other is plain stockinette. It looked like hell.

So, I pulled out the seam ripper. I pulled out my supply of snaps and sewed on a snap at the top of the band. Sometimes you need to know when to say "uncle" and remember that this is for a 5 year old and it will be fine as it is. I must admit the 2 hours of precious time wasted left me grumpy for a while.



4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I hear you with the zipper thing....now if my knits need a zipper I take it to the tailer and for 10 bucks its done!

Kristen Rettig said...

Uggh. I have a zipper ahead of me for a hoodie for my son. I think I will take it to the tailor, good advice Kimberly.

kathy b said...

Zippers are best left to the professionals I always say! the child will not want to fuss with a zipper anyhow!! it is a lovely lovely gift. Be proud!

Geri said...

Oh my! With a zipper looming in my future, I'm getting nervous. I checked out the Knitting Daily episode and like having knitted fabric to work with, but they don't give a method to attach the zipper to the sweater. Ugh! I need to be walked through this stuff.