Yesterday I pulled out the sewing machine, scissors, needles, zipper foot...etc. I sewed the zipper to the ribbon as the pattern suggested. I hand basted the zipper in after pinning it very carefully. I sewed it on the machine. I zipped it up and then let the four letter words fly...the left side was higher than the right side because one has a firm seed stitch edge and the other is plain stockinette. It looked like hell.
So, I pulled out the seam ripper. I pulled out my supply of snaps and sewed on a snap at the top of the band. Sometimes you need to know when to say "uncle" and remember that this is for a 5 year old and it will be fine as it is. I must admit the 2 hours of precious time wasted left me grumpy for a while.