November 24, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

I was reading Carole's blog and liked her Ten on Tuesday adapatation - 10 People I'd Like (Living or Dead) to Invite to Thanksgiving Dinner. I can do this.

1. My grandmother, Mimi. She was a wonderful, spunky lady who loved to cook and I miss her most every day. She wasn't my knitting grandmother but she was my special grandmother.

2. My grandfather, Pappy (Mimi's husband). He loved to cook too and loved the theater of carving the turkey and serving the meal. We spent most Thanksgivings at their home so I guess that is why I'd have them both at this imaginary meal.

3. My godmother, Robin. She lost her battle to cancer 13 years ago. There isn't a day I miss her. When I moved to NYC and couldn't take the long trip home for T-giving, it was her home where I spent my turkey days. We had a memorable meal where some Russian friends were visiting for Thanksgiving and we made a spinach dish with buttered bread crumbs on top. She only had dark rye bread for the bread crumbs and it looked like coffee grounds - we laughed at it for years. She also had the BEST cranberry recipe which I'll post at the end of this list.

4. Amelia Earhart - she's always just fascinated me and I'd like to hear about where she ended up. I've always wanted to get my pilot's license and she's been a childhood hero.

5. Leonardo Da Vinci - I majored in art history - this man would be a fascinating person to talk to. If he were busy, I'd ask Michelangelo.

6. Thomas Jefferson - I went to the University of Virginia. This man is fascinating on many levels and I have a bunch of questions for him.

7. Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird speaks for itself - I'd like Gregory Peck to join her.

8. Eric Clapton - just for the music.

9. My husband's grandparents - I never got to meet my husband's paternal grandparents...just as he never met my maternal grandparents listed above. They were so important in his life and we both wish we had met each other's grandparents.

10. My parents and sisters - okay this is more than one person. I haven't had a Thanksgiving with them in years. I always am with my husband's family and I guess at this time of year I just miss mine.

I could add a knitter to this list...Wendy Bernard would be fun, Elizabeth Zimmerman would be enlightening, Yarn Harlot could be a hoot, oh there are so many knitters I could add.

Now, for Robin's Cranberries - try them, you'll never go back.

1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all these put in an ovenproof dish and bake at 350 until bubbling...around 30-40 minutes. This can bubble up so make sure you don't overstuff the dish. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I enjoyed reading your list. My grandparents would be at the top of my list, too. :)

Patt said...

I made your cranberry recipe. It was really good, thank you!