April 10, 2010

No, I didn't disappear

We had our spring break this past week and we took a road trip to Virginia...first stop was Colonial Williamsburg. I hadn't been there in years! It was VERY warm with temperatures in the 90s every day. Fortunately, the outdoor pool was heated and the kids spent afternoons swimming.

I honestly was a little let down by Williamsburg - more touristy than I remembered. The grounds are impeccable and the Governor's Palace was amazing. I just was annoyed by thinking these little storefronts would be educational and they were a chance to sell stuff instead.


































We then went to Charlottesville where we met up with my parents for a few days...we showed the kids my alma mater, the University of Virginia. We also toured Monticello which was fantastic! They have a new tourist center which is amazing.

This little gazebo is one of my favorite sights at Monticello.





Our last day was spent at the farm of dear friends - this view is so familiar and comforting to me. We used to swim in that muddy pond (not in anything nice like a bathing suit as it would be the color of clay forever...just yucky shorts and a tee shirt would do). The kids had a blast - Miss America got to ride a horse bareback and #1 Son at age 14 was given the chance to drive a small farm truck. Both were in heaven!




It was lots of car time and lots of knitting which I will post later...unfortunately it was far too hot and I didn't take my newly finished Coraline.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Looks like a blissful spring break!