April 13, 2015

In The Beginning

This week's prompt for the Love Your Blog challenge is Beginnings.

As it applies to my blogging - it began in 2006 when my sister started a blog for the two of us to share our knitting.  It was called "Show Me The Knitting".  She wrote this:

Hoping you'll join me!

So, what do you think? I thought this would be a better way to share our knitting, and the cool sites we find. Although blogger can get bogged down, and uploading photos sometimes takes some time, it's much easier to comment on the projects this way.

I'm hoping you don't think I'm a huge loser dork. I dropped the old blog I had, as keeping up with the family one is all I can do. However, I still write you & show you what I'm doing, as you do for me.
So we started a back and forth conversation about what we were knitting, things we had discovered, etc.  
My sister's last post was December 12, 2007 when she noted she wasn't blogging:

It's Embarrassing

I know...it's "Show Me the Knitting" and I haven't.
I know...it's "Two Sisters, one blog" and there has been only one sister.

Sorry. After a while, it becomes embarrassing, and I don't even look at the blog. I have been knitting, and I have been thinking about blogging...just haven't been doing it.

So, I take a deep breath, and jump in again, knowing you won't hold it against me.
I too started to notice I was the only one blogging and sharing...it was a one sided conversation so on September 10, 2008 I decided it was time for my own platform and I started this blog.
The other aspect of Beginnings I want to talk about is how my blog was the beginning of sharing my own knitting designs.  It started slowly with a sweater here and there that I crafted for myself or our daughter.
The beginning was October 2007 when my daughter saw my Fetching fingerless mitts and asked for her own pair.  So I adapted the pattern and made these:

Then I had some yarn and we designed a summer tank for her...she picked out the stitch pattern on the sides and I created.


I then created something just for me - I loved the detail in the back of a twisted rib section.  That was an aha moment of how little details are everything.

My first published pattern in August 2009 - another beginning - was this scarf (Saphira Scarf).  It was a free pattern and it was when I dipped my toe into publishing patterns on Ravelry.

It took me until March 2012 to publish another pattern - Farfalle.  It's a free pattern too and is one of my most popular downloads (as free patterns are downloaded a lot).  

That was the beginning - I have been publishing patterns ever since.  If it weren't for my blogging, I don't know if I would have had the confidence to publish patterns.  The comments I get whenever I post something help me to try new things.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love your blog! I had almost forgotten about that first blog with two sisters... but that's how we met so many years ago. I love how knitting and blogging has turned us into friends!

Keep up the great work designing. You're a natural and I am always excited to see what's next on your needles.

xoxo

Unknown said...

Love your post - it's very inspiring! I hope to get to publishing my own patterns one day! It's great to hear how your blog evolved! x

Gracey is not my name.... said...

So is your sister also still blogging? No one in my family or friends circles blog....and only a few craft.....so I've had to rely on the remarkable people I've met through this wonderful activity...

Helen (yarnful) said...

I love the idea of a sister blog but it's also interesting to hear how it evolved in different directions for each of you.