June 29, 2009

While I'm Unwinding

While I've been so busy unwinding and getting into summer, I haven't made time to wind wool. So yesterday I got out my trusty swift and ball winder and wound the rest of the Cascade 220 for my Annikka.

The mailman brought my Peruvia for the Tilted Duster - this photo doesn't do it justice. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the true color on film. I decided to wind 2 skeins so I can try and get guage this week.

Anyway, as I was winding wool I was thinking about my wool winding experiences and preferences. Some manufacturers make it very easy for you to get started. Others make you get your granny glasses out and work at the yarn. Cascade 220 is my dream wind...one slip knot to pull, un-weave in 3 places and your ready to go.

Peruvia was relatively easy too - 2 spots to un-weave and wind away...it is slightly bulkier and a little more slippery which I didn't not so the first ball flew off the winder towards the end. Have you ever had that happen to you??? It always surprises me and reminds me I'm not paying attention to winding which is true in this case because I have been very busy un-winding.

Now my next summer unwinding goal - knitting on the beach. I know I won't be alone as Kimberly knits on the beach and I've observed a few other ladies doing it as well. Sometimes my kids roll their eyes when they see I've brought my knitting to an unusual place - I think I might get a "oh, mom" and a huge eye roll.

No comments: