February 10, 2009

13 Years Ago Today

I became a mom...#1 Son was born on a Saturday morning that was unusually warm for February. Being one of 4 girls, I had never really dealt with baby boys (or big ones) that much. I remember when he was 6 months old I called my mom and said "Mom, boys are really different". She started reminiscing about a friend who had 4 boys and what it was like when one of them came to our house. My response was "but you didn't live with one 24/7!" From the get-go #1 Son was wired to go...legs twitching and itching to go.


He loved when he could start stealing bases in baseball...put him on 1st and he'll steal his way to home.

Thirteen years ago I had made him this blanket and it as it turned out it I didn't knit another thing for 10 years!! As you can see from the white and yellow, I didn't know what "flavor" I was having.









Even though my mom taught me to knit, she is a firm believer I get my talent from my father's mother who was an amazing needlewoman. Knitting, sewing, needlepoint - she did them all.

She made this jacket and hat for our son. As you can see she had very even tension and I think she created the jacket pattern all on her own. The thing is I think she must have been in her mid-late eighties when she knit these. Pretty amazing! Unfortunately, #1 son was too big for the jacket when it arrived and hats were not his thing. So these lay in a drawer waiting for his children.

For a little guy who had so much knit for him ( have 2 blankets and a sweater that other loving knitters made), he sure won't wear my handknits now! Happy 13th Birthday #1 Son! Love, your knitting again mom









4 comments:

Beth said...

Happy birthday to your son! I hope he had a great day.

I grew up with three brothers and I wanted a girl so badly when I was pregnant. But now that I'm teaching mostly little boys, I realize that they are a lot of fun, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your #1 Son!

What a cute picture :)

a friend to knit with said...

ahhh!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
i can't believe how fast this goes, huh?
glad you picked up knitting, again. :)

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! Happy Birthday to your son. I'm thrilled that I got to actually see this knitting today in person. It's such a wonderful heirloom