January 6, 2010

Needlepoint is Not The Answer














Out of desperation to keep my hands busy while watching movies, football, etc, and trying to avoid the pain I'm having in my left arm/shoulder, I pulled out my needlepoint from years ago. My godmother gave me this and I do love it and love the colors. So, I started needlepointing on Sunday and last night and realized that it isn't the answer to my need for busy hands/no pain. I realized that the way I keep my left arm up to hold the canvas keeps it in the position that hurts while I knit. Darn!

Maybe I need to bust out the sewing machine...any way I can put it in front of the boob tube while watching football this weekend? My husband can't understand why I feel compelled to always be doing something with my hands...what is it with the need to always be productive. I find knitting relaxing, engaging, challenging, fun and I love having my hands productive.

3 comments:

Beth said...

That's exactly how I feel, too. I dislike watching TV unless I can be working on a project at the same time.

Do you have a knitting loom? I'm wondering if you could leave your left arm free and use your right arm to knit on the loom. Not sure how well that would work...

I hope you find something you can do that doesn't hurt!

Jennifer said...

Drat! I think you should take up massage therapy... preferably having it done on your shoulder!

How about yoga, reading, walking, not doing ANYTHING with your hands for awhile (you'll survive... I was there for 4 months at one time!) Ooh - how about photography? That should be easy on the arms.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

In my prior life (the non-knitting one) I used to be able to watch t.v. without doing anything else. Now I go stir crazy and can't concentrate on a show without some knitting or crocheting in my hands.