January 9, 2010

What's a Girl to Do???

I got an email from my LYS, Knitting Central, this morning and it's changed my day entirely. They are closing their store! They've decided to just keep some products online.

What are we local knitters going to do? They have lovely products, great staff and they are one of the very few stores in the area. What am I going to do when I need another pair of Addi needles for a project? I will have to wait and order them online?

Now, most of you know I love to buy things on sale...in fact, I once told a woman I know that I never pay full price for clothing (she was shocked and I figured she must only pay full price). I hate missing a good sale but I feel like a vulture swooping down on the pickings when a store closes.

Since they are going to stay open online, I guess it really won't be totally vulture-like to go and see whats there...and I do need a set of size 5 Addis - 30% off is a lot better than full price.

Oh, this is just a bummer to have no LYS.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, that's sad! I know what you mean about feeling like a vulture. But you have been a customer of theirs so they won't feel that way about you. And you really are helping them if they are trying to sell off their stock.

Kimberly said...

Oh Estella, I am so sad for you and to know that another local yarn shop is closing....... I do believe the only way to make yourself feel better is to buy lots of yarn and make beautiful things to remember your wonderful years there.

Philigry said...

oh no! I am so sorry. I live in a tiny, tiny town and just found out that someone is opening a knitting store in their garage! i am so excited, and can't believe there will be one in my town!!!
maybe somone else will open a new store that you will love.
In the mean time, I say go for the sale!! it will still be helping the owner out!

Jennifer said...

Deep breath. I'm very sad... and very grateful. We've been so fortunate to have Knitting Central in our midst these past few years. Cynthia has brought such talented international designers and instructors to our doorstep. We've met such wonderful people. We've had such fibers in our own town. Sigh. Maybe we'll take up walking together as our new hobby.