January 26, 2009

Fudging It

I'm knitting along on my Ingenue and checking my stitch count every now and then. I get to a count and realize I'm off by 1 stitch while increasing for the raglan...what to do? Since I've been counting as I go along, I just fit in another increase as soon as I can - to put it simply I fudge it. I had the same problem with my Braided Pullover - a few too many stitches - so again I fudged it rather than pull out all that cabling.

So, what do you do in a case like this? I guess I could say I'm lazy but I know if it was really off I'd be ripping it out. One stitch - no big deal.

6 comments:

Karen said...

For me, it depends on the project, how off I am, how much of a perfectionist I am on that day, etc etc etc. I've been known to fudge quite often. But then again, I sometimes tink back and fix the mistake. :)

a friend to knit with said...

if you can make up for that stitch, then i say fudge it......if it won't bother you.
like karen, it just depends on the project for me.

Anonymous said...

I'd do the same as you are doing if it were just one stitch. As long as it isn't obvious where the mistake is, I'm fine with fudging it :)

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Did you say Fudge-it, oh, that's my middle name. If I can make it work, I do.

Krista said...

For your particular pattern, don't worry about it! You'll start decreasing soon anyway.

Lisa said...

If it's not noticeable just fudge it. If it's going to bother you then take the time to go back and fix the problem. There's nothing worse than finishing something wonderful but all you can see is the mistake.

For me, I'd fudge it.